Thursday 3 January 2013

Post-Christmas fruity breakfast - an update via my mum

So, my mum emails me to tell me I got it all wrong. That fruit salad was not the fruit salad she made at all. She has however, sent me corrections, and here is her original recipe, which is, I think, an improvement on my rather slapdash 'recipe'. It turns out there are limes. And blood oranges. Who knew? But even better for this time of year with all its lovely citrus fruit.

2 limes
4oz sugar (think I used a little less) 
2 pink grapefruit
3-4 blood oranges
450g fresh or tinned lychees   
Peel the limes very thinly, place the peel, sugar and 250ml water in saucepan and bring to boil, take off heat and leave to infuse for 15 mins.  Remove the peel and add the juice of the limes to the syrup. Peel and segment the grapefruit and oranges, removing pith and skin.  Drain the tinned lychees, mix fruit together and pour over syrup.  Serve hot or cold.

Mum says that as well as breakfast, it is also pretty darn good after a hot curry.

Deliciousness squared. With thanks to my lovely mum and her vast recipe store.

No comments:

Post a Comment